Saturday, August 7, 2010

Getting to know the ways of the island

First and foremost I want to clarify something... many people seem to think I won't write the blog just because I'm in Hawaii or that I will stop once I get settled in but that's not the case. I am writing the blog to keep touch with friends and improve my writing skills. I'm also really bad at keeping a regular journal so when I know I have an adoring public to write for it keeps me motivated (lol....jk) So anyway....

Island is just different. And better.

We see roosters everywhere (they like to crow at 3 AM by the way) And even the accent/dialect is different. I'm catching on very fast to these street names and pronunciations, as well as where everything is. I hope someday I can speak just like the locals. For example, they don't say "flip flops" they say "slippers." And while we say "goosebumps" they say "ckicken skin." It's really cool! There are other differences too that I can't quite remember. It's too late and I'm tired.

I went walking along a nature preserve trail. It said that Maui has changed a lot and that a past postcard would have shown the native plants and species; mostly birds. Today, it shows tropical but not native plants. And the future postcard would have cities, pigeons, feral cats, and none of the tropical things we see now. It would be such a tradegy. I hope Maui never gets to that point.

Lindsey

3 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work Lindsey. I enjoy and I am glad you are keeping this journel. It helps us all stay close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really?? Thank you so much Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's great that you're keeping the blog. You're doing a great job too!

    ReplyDelete