Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 4 - Mount Rushmore

EDIT: Pictures!!!!


Today was a looong one. We entered into the Black Hills. You may wonder why they're called that. We were thinking was the color of the rocks were black, or at least some other dark color, but it was the trees. From far away, they looked black. I guess I better tell you what they are too. They aren't really hills as the name suggests. They are mountains - not big - and it's the location of Mount Rushmore!

Mount Rushmore is amazing. You've likely seen pictures of it, but it just can't compare to the real thing! Unfortunately, it was extremely foggy so it was kinda hard to see George, Thomas, Teddy, and Abe. I got some amazing pictures, though! I have found a way to upload them, but I probably won't be able to since we were all very eager to get settled down tonight.

Anyway, I can't close today's entry without talking about Custer! It was so amazing. We went into the state park, and wild buffalo just got on the street, right next to the cars! There were also deer, prairie dogs, and "wild" burros we got to feed. I guess some of the burros have figured out humans mean food, but others stayed away.

When we left there, we went to an amzing place... in the middle of nowhere. It's really hard to describe the beauty we saw, but I guess I can put it this way: No matter where you turn, there is trees sitting on mountains everywhere. The biggest town was only a block long, and there were only log cabins around. The valley was hidden in a misty fog that transfixed you into a different world....

Lindsey

1 comment:

  1. Lindsey, the pictures are very well done! I like Mt. Rushmore in a bit of fog.

    ReplyDelete